Interview with "Gary Delaney"
1. When did you join Athenry FC? When did you leave the Club?
- Played under age at Corofin United until I was 18 or so then joined Mervue United AFC U21 for two seasons, not sure what the year was think it was 99/00.
Took a break from soccer to try break into the CorofinGAA Senior team, once I got established I went back playing with Corofin Utd and captained them in there first and only season in the GFA Premier Division, that was a tough season!!
Played half a season with Dynamo Blues in Tuam.
- 07/08 to present (still waiting on dave to call me) I joined Athenry (after Alan O'Donovan) convinced Timmy to sign me, think it was the night Athenry won their first Connacht Cup.
2. Who was the biggest influence on you?
- I have worked with some great managers and coaches and have learned so much from each and everyone of them along the way.
I think each time you play/train you will always learn something,
But Frank McCormack(RIP) helped me out early doors.
3. What did you achieve in your time at the Club?
- I was very lucky and played with some serious ballers and we won.
Four Premier Division Titles
Four Connacht Cups and
Two Michael Byrne Cups.
4. What are your three most memorable moments with Athenry FC?
- 1. Captained the Club to a League title and Michael Byrne Cup, this was a huge honour for me.
2. Connacht Cup against Ballinasloe AFC (7-0), especially after losing the final the year before.
3. The Celebrations, they are a crazy crew, memories for life!
5. What three things did you enjoy most about playing for Athenry FC?
- 1. The togetherness of each team was unbelievable.
2. The banter was unbelievable.
3. Cleaning Seamie at training, when ever he wasn’t injured.
6. Who was the toughest opponent you ever played against?
- Team: Mervue Utd, never anything between us on any given day only a kick of a ball (or a man) we had some battles
Player: :Rian Gaffney (Salthill) always caused me trouble when he dropped in from up top, really good on the ball, have to given Ronan Caldwell an honourable mention also.
7. In all the squads you have been part of can you name the following:
Funny Guy - Paddy Quinn
Tough as Nails - Stephen Rabbitt
Fastest player - Benny Lawless
Most Skillful - Ollie Keogh / Alan O'Donovan
Most Grumpy - Seamie Crowe
Best Player - Jamie O'Driscoll
8. From all the players you have played with, name your strongest five a side team which includes yourself:
- One 5 a side team, very hard to pick so I'll add in a few as well:
Keeper - Kieran Killkelly/ Tj Forde
Defenders - Emmett Byrne/ Paddy Quinn
Midfielder: Jamie / Dunners/ Ollie
Strikers : Cathal Fahy/ Johnny Mernagh/ Valsta
Could name 5 more teams.
@athenry_afc / #athenry_afc