Interview with Club Registrar "John Kelly"
1. When did you join Athenry FC?
- I was introduced to Athenry AFC in 2008 when my eldest son (Liam) started the Saturday morning Academy.
2. What roles have you had?
- For a few years, I was just another parent hanging around on the sidelines at training and games. Then when my younger son (Eoin) started Saturday morning Academy in 2015, I was around the Club a bit more. I started helping out and coaching with his group (U7’s) in 2016 and continued until this year. I have not been as involved with his U10’s group (well done to the great team of coaches there, led by Richie & Ronan) this year, as training times do not suit me but I have been available for Oranmore Tournament and friendly games.
- I joined the Committee four years ago and have been Membership Registrar for the past three years.
3. As a coach, what do/did you enjoy the most?
- I enjoy seeing the boys learning and understanding the game and improving their skills year on year.
4. What made you decide to join the committee?
- I didn’t set out to join the Committee as I just attended an AGM which was very badly attended so was persuaded to join on the night (thanks a lot Cormac & Brian).
5. As a committee member, what is the hardest part?
- Not having enough time to do more as I’m also Secretary of Athenry Parish Sports & Community Games. By the way the Club is a great supporter of Community Games with Coaches and Parents entering teams with great successes over the years. Notably, only last year with 2 County Titles - U10 Boys Indoor Soccer and U13 Girls Indoor Soccer.
- I do what I can and hope it helps in some way.
6. What do you enjoy most about being on the Committee?
- Working with some great people, not just the Committee but throughout the Club, who are very passionate about the Club and commit vast amounts of time in the background to make things happen.
I deal with a lot of people in my role so I enjoy meeting them and hoping that I helped them in some way by sorting out their membership queries and assisting them with the online Clubforce membership system and the FAI Registration of players.
- I also feel that I’m giving something back (even if it is only a small amount of time) to a Club that has given and is giving so much enjoyment and opportunities to my sons Liam and Eoin.
7. Can you name three of your most memorable moments with the Club?
- I have many memorable moments from attending games where my sons are playing and I suppose one memorable moment goes back to 2016/2017 season when the U14 team managed by Cormac McCarthy & Brian Sweeney and captained by Liam (sorry, I’m biased here) won the GFA Championship League and Cup double.
- There are a lot of Club successes and memories in the underage teams and long may they continue as those are the players who will go on to represent the Club at Senior level.
- Another great memory is the great night at The Chaser. A great fundraising event for the Club and well done to all those on the sub-committee for all their hard work.
8. What are your ambitions for the next three years?
-"To see the Club teams progressing in their respective leagues and of course the progress to the final completion of the Athenry AFC & Athenry AC joint venture pitch and athletics track.
- Also to see some more new volunteers as there is always something to be done and you don’t need to be knowledgeable about football or a player/ former player to make a difference to the boys and girls who just want to play football.