Interview with "Kieran Flannery"
1. When did you join the Club and when did you leave?
- I joined Athenry FC when I was 9. Would go to my brothers u12 games. Hoping to get a game. My first competitive team was the u12s managed by the great Johnny Delaney. I played striker from u12 to u18 and once scored 7 goals against St. Bernard's we beat them 9-1. I was asked one day by Timmy Holian who was referring our u18 match to go and train with the seniors. I duly obliged and on my first night had a great battle with Eddie Fox and Kevin Quigley and never looked back. Started up front with Paddy Quinn in division 2a in 99_00 season we where on fire and pushing for promotion. Near the end of the season our keeper Leo Corbett got injured and I had to take over in goal. Thankfully we won a playoff against Moylough 4 nil and gained promotion and won the Division Cup final 4 - 1 against against Palace from Tuam. The season 00-01 we won the league and Cup and went unbeaten. Played for a couple of seasons in the Premier our best finish was 4th. My goalkeeping career was cut short due to a shoulder injury. I also played with a brilliant 7 aside team Barney's boys and won the Kiltullagh 7s three years in a row with Shaughs, Davy Crimmins, Paddy Quinn, Brian Cos, Brian Carroll, Neville, Pauline Mac, Emmet Byrne and Derek ó Loughlin.
2. Who was the biggest influence on you?
- my biggest influences where Johnny Delaney and Timmy Holian.
3. What did you achieve in your time at the Club?
- won promotion from 2A in 99-00 and won the Division Cup and league in 00-01.
4. What are your three most memorable moments with Athenry FC?
- my three most memorable moments where the penalty shoot out wins in the FAI Junior Cup, Winning the finals in EDP, Terryland and Sunday sessions in Iggys with DJ flaming Éamonn.
5. What three things did you enjoy most about playing for Athenry FC?
- my three things I enjoyed the most where playing with lads I grew up with, having the craic with the great Conor T MacNamara a Club Legend RIP and our FAI Junior Cup run to the last 16 in our first year.
6. Who was the toughest opponent you ever played against?
- toughest team was a Galway United star studded team with Derek O'Brien and Ollie Keogh up front in the Kiltullagh 7's final, we ended up beating them 2 - 1.
7. In all the squads you have been part of can you name the following:
Funny Guy - Spanky Quinn
Tough as Nails - Kevin Quigs
Fastest player - Johnny Mernagh
Most Skillful - Gaz Coffey
Most Grumpy - Timmy Holian
Best Player - Dave Crimmins
8. From all the players you have played with, name your strongest five a side team which includes yourself:
Defender - Emmet Byrne
Defender - Davy Crimmins
Midfielder - Gary Coffey
Striker - Brian Costello
Manager - Bob Paisley
@athenry_afc / #athenry_afc