Interview with defender "Liam Sheehan"
1. When did you join Athenry FC?
I first joined Athenry FC in 2008. I left for the second half of the 16/17 season before rejoining at the start of the 17/18 season for the reserve and under 21 team.
2. What are the best moments you have had with Athenry FC?
Winning the under 18 league title in 15/16 with a great team and management. Also winning €1000 on "The Chaser" this season wasn't bad.
3. Can you name one coach that made the most impact on you as a footballer?
There is something to learn from every coach, but otherwise Roger Leggett.
4. What are the things you like about Athenry FC?
Athenry are always challenging for titles and there's always a good team spirit whichever team you're in. The support for the first team is great too.
5. In your opinion what should the Club improve on?
The pitches in Moanbaun need improving, so does the Astro.
6. What are your thoughts on the U21 league in Galway?
It has been terrible. Playing games @9pm on a Wednesday night in the winter are no fun, only having games every 3/4 weeks is no good either.
7. You are no longer U21, what is the step up like from U21 to Junior football for you?
There's definitely a step up in class, physicality and fitness levels.
8. Regarding training, what do you take sessions with a team challenging for trophies every season?
There's a great team spirit and your always pushed to do your best. Training with good players can only make you better and push yourself to go further.
9. With the competition for places on the first team, is there any rivalries you have noticed between players for a starting place?
There's always a bit of rivalry between players but it's good competition and makes everyone better for it.
10, You have some coaching badges and have refereed games at underage, do you see yourself taking up either of these roles in the future? Which would you refer?
Definitely won't be refereeing again. I'd like to get more coaching badges and do that in the future I think