Interview with "Mickey Quinn"
1. When did you join & when did you leave the Club?
- I joined the club when I was six or seven and left in 2008. I only ever played for Athenry, unlike my brother who had a spell with Mervue, he came back out when he couldn’t make their team.
2. Who was the biggest influence on you?
- Johnny Delaney and Jimmy Lynskey were my first managers, Johnny was always so quiet on the sidelines. Pete and Tommy were always there as well.
3. What did you achieve in your time at the Club?
- The first trophy I won was the Billy Fitzgerald, we had a lot of solid lads with Tom "The Hacker" Forde and Packie McMurphy Byrne.
Senior, I was lucky to have won leagues and cups up from Division 2A and beaten in the Irish Cup final in 2006. I was in the treble winning team which went onto win nearly all.
4. What are your three most memorable moments with Athenry FC?
- Our U13 team stayed together to an U18 Connaught Cup final and we were very unlucky. The Irish Cup was a big one and hurt to lose but made the Club stronger and lastly the treble winning season was unreal.
5. What three things did you enjoy most about playing for Athenry FC?
- It has always felt like a family probably because I had Paddy, Cos and Jamie playing with me. We knew when to have a laugh and be serious as well, training got dirty but it always ended there and without a doubt the Sunday sessions in Iggys.
6. Who was the toughest opponent you ever played against?
- Alan O'Donovan became a decent player when he joined us, but with Mervue he always gave me a small challenge.
7. In all the squads you have been part of can you name the following:
Funny Guy - everyone thinks Paddy but I’m clearly the funny one.
Tough as Nails - Ronnie Kinneen was lethal even if you played with him
Fastest player - Johnny Mernagh
Most Skillful - Ollie Keogh or Donsie
Most Grumpy - Seamus Crowe hands down, he’s an angry little man
Best Player - Tom Fudge, lorded the midfield with me underage for years
8. From all the players you have played with, name your strongest five a side team which includes yourself:
Goalkeeper - Adrian Cronin
Defender - David Crimmins
Midfielder - Jamie O'Driscoll
Striker - Johnny Mernagh
Manager - Timmy out Holian
@athenry_afc / #athenry_afc