Interview with "Niall Tomas"
1. When did you join Athenry FC?
- Joined Athenry about 2000/2001 from Killala FC in Mayo. Played with Athenry till the end of 2016 I think and then all the joints in my body told me it was time to give up
2. Who was the biggest influence on you?
- Probably the biggest influence as a manager was Peter McDonnell From Killala FC.
3. What did you achieve in your time at the Club?
- Promotion three consecutive seasons with the B team in Athenry, winning the league in two of those occasions back to back. Won the GFA Premier Division and the Connacht Cup twice whilst involved with the first team, finished off winning the Lillis Cup with the B team.
Also the Mayo FA Cup with Killala FC in 99.
4. What are your most memorable moments with Athenry FC?
- Captain of the Athenry B team for back to back league titles. Success with the first team and the celebrations
5. What three things did you enjoy most about playing for Athenry FC?
- Getting to know all the lads I played with throughout the years, winning and competing for trophies and the pints after matches!
6. Who was the toughest opponent you ever played against?
- I always enjoyed the battles against Tony Crowe from West Utd and also watching Chick Deacy read the game for them at the back (even though he was about 50 at the time).
7. In all the squads you have been part of can you name the following:
Funny Guy - Micheal Noone (Killala FC)
Tough as Nails - Brendan Ryan (Killala FC)
Fastest player - Chopper Neary / Johnny Mernagh
Most Skillful - Gary Coffey or Brian Carroll
Most Grumpy - probably me
Best Player - Gary Coffey, Jamie O'Driscoll and Declan McGowan (Killala FC)
8. From all the players you have played with, name your strongest five a side team which includes yourself:
Goalkeeper - Adrian Cronin
Defender - Ronan Kinneen
Midfielder - Jamie O'Driscoll
Striker - Cathal Fahy
Manager - Dunners
@athenry_afc / #athenry_afc