Interview with Defender "Stephen Rabbitt"
1. When did you join Athenry FC and when did you leave the Club?
- Joined Athenry when I was 7 until I was 30. I joined Colemanstown United F.C. then for a season, took some time out but back playing again this season with them in Division 1.
2. Who was the biggest influence on you?
- It would have to be Pete and Tommy from underage and Timmy Holian gave me my debut with seniors when I was 15, but a lot of the older players from that time helped us develop and progress eventually in time as first team regulars.
3. What did you achieve in your time at the Club?
- I remember we won an U13 league and cup double under Pete and Tommy but unfortunately that was it at underage, we lost more finals and league deciders all the way up along that I cant remember the amount and even the same at senior for my first few seasons along with an Irish cup, but from 2007 we won the treble and that was a start of successful run for us.
4. What are your three most memorable moments with Athenry FC?
- First would have to be winning the U13 Double and playing in EDP, Terryland.
Secondly would be the Irish Cup semi final win against Castlebar Celtic in Milebush, some atmosphere but unfortunately for me I was sent off near the end of the game and missed the final.
Last would have to be the treble winning season in 2007, it was so important to start winning trophies with the group of players we had and no better way.
5. What three things did you enjoy most about playing for Athenry FC?
- Firstly would have to be the team spirit and nights out after games some craic.
Secondly would have to be the training and competition for places always pushing each other on.
Finally would have to be the ambition of the club looking to improve year on..
6. Who was the toughest opponent you ever played against?
- We lost to Pike Rovers in 2011 in an Irish Cup quarter final, quality team.
7. In all the squads you have been part of can you name the following:
Funny Guy - Paddy Quinn
Tough as Nails - Emmet Byrne
Fastest player - Niall Gibbons
Most Skillful - Ollie Keogh
Most Grumpy - Probably Myself
Best Player - Cathal Fahy
8. From all the players you have played with, name your strongest five a side team which includes yourself:
Goalkeeper - Kieran Kilkelly
Defender - Packie Byrne
Midfielder - Jamie O'Driscoll
Striker - Cathal Fahy
Manager - Timmy Holian
@athenry_afc / #athenry_afc